Life is full of simple, practical wonders. Learn and use these household tips, and you’ll be a household guru.
- When scalded, sprinkle sugar on the wound. It works much faster than any burn ointment. It absorbs heat right away and, even better, it leaves no scars.
- When you want to crack an egg, shake it before you break it. You’ll get all the egg white out, leaving no trace in the shell.
- If you burn your rice, add some green onions or garlic to the pot. Stew for a short time and the unpleasant smell will disappear.
- For bloodstains on your bedsheets, wet a piece of tissue and put it under the stained area. Put a dry piece of tissue on top of the stain. Press the two tightly a few times and allow the stain to be carried to the dry tissue through the physics of osmosis.
- When you have the smell from grilled foods or barbeque on your clothes, what you need to do is put the clothes into a plastic bag. Leave a small opening to allow the mouth of a hairdryer in. Turn the hairdryer on for a few minutes and the smell will be gone.
- If your nose is stopped up from a cold or flu, lie on your side opposite to the blocked nostril (so lie on your right side if your left nostril is blocked). It should open up in a minute.
- Do you want to defrost your meat instantly? Put the frozen meat into water and add some salt. It will thaw out in no time.
- Do you need to clean a soiled sponge or towel? Dissolve some salt in water. Soak the soiled sponge in it for a few minutes. It will come out clean.
- For deep-fried steam buns, soaking the slices in cold water before frying will make them crispy and golden.
- Bathrooms tend to have an unpleasant odor. Placing a small cup of vinegar in the room can take that smell away. Replace the vinegar every week if you want to keep your bathroom fresh.
Translated by Cecilia and edited by Mikel Davis
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Receive selected content straight into your inbox.