China has a long history and profound culture. From the four classic novels to the four talented women, some netizens came up with more of China’s big four after going through all aspects of China’s history and culture.
Here is a list of China’s big four
- China’s big four most talented women: Cai Wenji, Ban Zhao or Shangguan Wan’er, Zhuo Wenjun, and Li Qingzhao
- China’s big four great classical novels: Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Journey to the West, Water Margin, and Dream of the Red Chamber
- China’s big four beauties of ancient China: Xi Shi, Wang Zhaojun, Yang Guifei, Diao Chan
- China’s big four ancient operas that depict tragedy: Guan Hanqing’s The Injustice to Dou E or Snow in Midsummer, Ma Zhiyuan’s masterpiece Han Gongqiu, Bai Pu’s Indus Rain, and Ji Junxiang’s The Orphan of Zhao
- China’s big four legendary stories: Liang Shanbo and Zhu Yingtai, Yu the Great’s Flood Control, Cowherd and the Weaver Girl, and Meng Jiangnv
- China’s big four famous Buddhist mountains: Mount Wutai in Shanxi, Mount Emei in Sichuan, Mount Putuo in Zhejiang, and Mount Jiuhua in Anhui
- China’s big four great inventions: direction compass, gunpowder, printing techniques, and the geomantic compass
- China’s big four ancient capitals: Xi’an, Luoyang, Beijing, and Nanjing
- China’s big four major cuisines: Lu (Shandong), Chuan (Sichuan), Su (Jiangsu), and Yue (Guangdong)
- China’s big four traditional festivals: Lunar New Year, Mid-Autumn Festival, Dragon Boat Festival, and Ching Ming Festival
- China’s big four major regional operas: Beijing Opera also known as Peking Opera, Huangmei Song originally known as the Caicha Opera, Cantonese Opera, and the Yueju Opera
- China’s big four famous mountains: Huangshan (absolute), Huashan (danger), Lushan (popular), and Taishan (scholar)
- China’s big four famous wines: Maotai, Fenjiu, Luzhou Lao, Jiao Tequ, and Xifeng
Translated by Chua BC
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Receive selected content straight into your inbox.