3 Ways to Prove Identity Theft to Police, Courts, Banks, and the IRS

Geneva is a biologically inspired type of artificial intelligence that Levin and his team developed to work in the background as a user browses the web from a standard internet browser. (Image: pexels / CC0 1.0)

According to Lintech Enterprises Limited, a high technology corporation dealing with security products and Javelin Strategy & Research, an advisory organization specializing in digital finance, losses from account takeovers reached $5.1 billion in 2018, a 120 percent increase over 2017.

Identity fraud takes place when someone steals your identity and presents as you to make transactions with your money, claim your tax refunds, receive medical treatment, or to steer clear of giving their own personal details to the police officers.

Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Receive selected content straight into your inbox.

If you’ve been the unwilling recipient of identity fraud, you will have to prove to creditors, law enforcement officials, and banks that you’re not accountable for whatever the crook did while presenting him or herself as you.

1.  Proving identity theft to legal courts or law enforcement agencies

Contact the prosecutor’s office and court 

If the crook or thief was accused in court of an arrest under your name, get in touch with the prosecutor’s office and the court clerk. Ask them to remove your name in the records. You need to provide evidence of your identification. Then ask for a certificate of your clearance from the court.

Ask for an identity theft passport

Contact the state’s legal office and find out if the state has an “identity theft passport” system. If the state employs such a system, you’ll have to fill out an application. Once you get your id theft passport, you can easily use it to remove monetary concerns related to identity theft or clarify the situation to cops who might consequently detain you.

Make contact with the arresting police department

If a person was prosecuted and arrested, but gave your personal information and your name, then the id thief may have presented you with an incorrect criminal history. You may only find this out when you’re consequently imprisoned, fired from a job, or terminated from your employment as a result. Speak to the law administration agency that charged the id thief to challenge your criminal history.

If you don’t know which agency charged the thief, you may have to seek advice from the court’s clerk. Speak to the court clerk in the jurisdiction, make clear that criminal history was made in your name, and ask how you can get those records.

File A Police Report

Request the agency to help you with filing your police report. Don’t be surprised that you will need to provide your photograph, fingerprints, or any identifying paperwork the police department may require. The police department must be able to compare your details with the thief’s and revise the records.

Ask for Evidence of Your Innocence

Ask the police to provide you with a certificate of release or a clearance letter. Keep your evidence with you all the time. If law enforcement officials arrest you down the road, take advantage of this piece of evidence to clarify the confusion.

Make sure you use extra care if you are stopped by the police. For instance, tell the officer that you’d like to show her or him the clearance letter before getting to the glove box during any traffic stop. Even though you know you’re innocent, the police officer may really believe that you have a criminal history.

2.  Proving identity theft to the Internal Revenue Service

Reply to The Internal Revenue Service Notice

Chances are you’ll first find that your id has been ripped off when the Internal Revenue Service sends you a notification that you borrowed money or huge amounts of tax returns were recorded in your name. Don’t hesitate; just call the number mentioned on the Internal Revenue Service notice and submit an Id Theft Affidavit Form 14039.

Burgler with bag over shoulder steps out of Laptop screen. 2 credit cards upper right corner one green the other orange
Chances are you’ll first find that your id has been ripped off when the Internal Revenue Service sends you a notification that you borrowed money or huge amounts of tax returns were recorded in your name. (Image: Pxhere; CC0 1.0)

Get an Id Protection Pin

The Internal Revenue Service will give you an Id Protection Pin number that you’ll have to enter when you file the tax return. This pin number will confirm your identity and keep criminals from filing tax returns under your name. The Internal Revenue Service will mail you your pin number in a letter. Make sure that you keep your pin number in a safe place, especially in tax season.

File a police report

Speak to your law enforcement professionals to file a police report. You should use this report to record the theft to the Internal Revenue Service, banks, creditors, courts, and police. Whenever you visit the police station, bring these things with you:

  • A duplicate copy of the FTC’s “Memo to The Police
  • The notification you received from the Internal Revenue Service
  • Verification or proof of the house address (such as a rental contract or utility bill)
  • Government-issued photographic identification number (like a driver’s license or state ID card)

3.  Proving identity theft to a creditor or bank

Document your complaint with the Federal Trade Commission

The FTC pursues complaints by phone or online. When you file your complaint, you will get an Identity Theft Affidavit. You’ll need this affidavit to submit your police report. This affidavit is easily the most widely-accepted method for victims to challenge scams, though some banks or creditors could request that you submit a separate affidavit related to their business.

File the Federal Trade Commission complaint by contacting them on 1-877-438-4338, or browsing this link. Update the affidavit with new details by contacting the said number.

File a theft alert with a credit reporting agency

You will find three countrywide credit reporting agencies: TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax. Make contact with any agency and ask for the best way to file your theft alert. Filing an alert can make it more challenging for the id thief to open a new bank account using your id. It is possible to contact the agencies at the following numbers:

  • Experian: 1-888-397-3742, or visit here
  • TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289, or visit here
  • Equifax: 1-888-766-0008, or visit here

Contact the company where the fraud took place

If someone took your personal details and used them to invest, buy something, or make transactions, contact that particular organization where the fraudulent activity took place and the financial institution or credit card firm to which the bill was made. Seek advice from your lawyer or contact someone in the fraud department and explain what actually happened.

Follow us on Twitter or subscribe to our weekly email

Recommended Stories

A submerged Buddha statue.

Buddha Statues, Ancient Towns, and Churches Emerge as Water Levels Drop

As the Earth moves through its phases, land masses keep rising to the ocean’s surface ...

Young woman smiling as she looks down at a butterfly.

What Is the Ultimate Purpose of Reincarnation?

Many cases of reincarnation have been relayed by people from both Eastern and Western countries. ...

Apples hanging on trees.

4 Apple Recipes to Turn Anyone Into a Pro

Baking with apples is usually challenging for first-timers which is why not many beginners do ...

Cardboard cutouts shaped like people stand on a table with a bright light behind them.

7 Boundaries That Will Help Sustain Lifelong Relationships

As human beings, we must keep a “bottom line” or set some kind of boundaries ...

Lauren Tischendorf swimming around Lord Howe Island.

Lauren Tischendorf: First Woman to Swim Shark-Infested Waters Around Lord Howe Island

The past decade has seen long-distance women swimmers achieve extraordinary feats. For example, Lauren Tischendorf ...

Deaf restaurant staff.

Deaf-Owned Restaurants and How They Speak the Language of Good Food

Deaf-owned restaurants are challenging the status quo and proving that you don’t need audible words ...

Splashing water.

How Much Hydration Do You Need Before Bed to Sleep Better?

We’ve all wondered how much hydration is adequate to get through the day. But have ...

Principal of Tsinghua University Mei Yiqi.

Mei Yiqi: President of Tsinghua University Helped His Heroic Wife To Sell Snacks on the Street

In December 1948 (the 37th year of the Republic of China), many intellectuals were faced ...

The River Thames flowing through London.

How the River Thames was Brought Back to Life

London’s River Thames once became a dead river due to the industrial revolution of England.  ...

Send this to a friend