Sweet and sour dishes are very popular in China, although the Chinese tend to use sweet and sour sauces as dipping sauces rather than for cooking, as is done in Westernized sweet and sour dishes. Here is a recipe for sweet and sour prawns.
- Large prawns — 16 (peel the prawn shell off, but leave the tails on)
- Macadamia nuts (or any nuts) — ½ cup
- Garlic — 3 cloves (chopped)
- Oil — 2 tbsp
- Tomato sauce — ¼ cup
- Water — ¼ cup
- Sugar — 1 tbsp
- Soy sauce — 1 tbsp
- Sesame oil — ½ tsp
- Tapioca flour — 1 tbsp
- Dried shallots — 1 tbsp
- Mix all the sauce ingredients into a bowl
- Put oil in a wok and sauté the garlic until light brown
- Add in the prawns and stir fry. When prawns are almost cooked, stir in the sauce
- When the sauce thickens, add nuts and mix well
- Optional — Decorate with spring onions and coriander
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Receive selected content straight into your inbox.