- 3 shallots
- 2 fresh chilies
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 star anise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 pieces ginger
- 5 dried chilies
- 8 pandan leaves
- 2 Chinese cardamom pods
- 4 cups oil
- 1/3 cup crushed chili
- 1/3 cup Korean crushed chili
- 1/4 cup crushed Sichuan peppercorn
1. Wash the first 10 ingredients from above. Leave to dry.
2. Mix crushed chili and Korean chili in a bowl.
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Receive selected content straight into your inbox.
3. Wash crushed Sichuan peppercorns and drain away water with a sieve. Fry in a pan (no oil) on low heat until it starts to let off a fragrance.
4. Remove and put in a bowl with chilies from step 2 above. Stir in 1 tbsp of oil.
5. Put the remaining oil in a saucepan, mix in all the washed ingredients from step 1 above, and heat on low until it comes to a boil. When oil is fragrant and brown, remove ingredients with a strainer.
6. Take out some oil and mix with chilies from step 4 above. Then slowly stir in the remaining oil so as not to burn the crushed chilies and Sichuan peppercorns.
7. Ready for use.
This recipe is spicy hot. Reduce chili amount for a milder version.