Eight treasure porridge is a traditional Chinese dish dating back to the Han Dynasty, and as you may guess from the name, it contains eight ingredients. Typically, each family has its own version of the dish. We find it both nutritious and comforting, and prefer making it according to the following recipe.
Eight Treasure Porridge
- 2.5 tbsp white rice (30g)
- 3.5 tbsp purple rice (40g)
- 1/4 cup peanuts (30g)
- 2.5 tbsp glutinous rice (30g)
- 2.5 tbsp millet (30g)
- 5 dried longans (15g)
- 5 dried red dates (12g)
- 2 tbsp lotus seeds (40g)
- Rock sugar
- 8 to 10 cups water
1. Preparation: Soak the grains in water for about 2 hours. (If you are not in a hurry to make this dish, let the grains soak overnight.)
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Receive selected content straight into your inbox.
2. Use a pressure cooker! Add all ingredients. Depending on your pressure cooker and its size, you can use a larger amount of water if you prefer thinner porridge or use a lesser amount of water if you prefer thicker porridge.
3. Cook at high pressure for 25 minutes.
If you have a sweet tooth, you can add some rock sugar or honey to make the Eight Treasure Porridge into a dessert. Enjoy!