These delicious stewed pork ribs with mushrooms and tofu are the kind of meal that your body begs you to cook on a Sunday night after an outdoorsy weekend. I recommend serving them with some steamed rice. The meat is literally falling off the bone after being stewed, and it’s topped with the favorite protein in my family, tofu, along with mouthwatering mushrooms that are rich in B vitamins, which play an important role in your body’s nervous system. Enjoy your night in!
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Receive selected content straight into your inbox.
To prepare the tofu
Tofu (firm variety) – 12 ounces (360 g)
Salt – 1 tsp
Water – 5 cups
- Cut tofu into rectangular-shaped pieces.
- Put water in pot and add salt.
- Add in tofu to boil for 5 minutes (to soften and get rid of soybean smell).
- Take out and put aside.
To prepare the pork ribs
Pork ribs – 2 pounds (1 kg)
Flour – ¼ cup (50 g)
Star anise – 3
Ginger (sliced) – 3
Spring onion (stalk) – 1
Cooking wine – 2 tbsp
Water – 4 cups
- Add flour with a bit of water and thoroughly mix with pork ribs (to get rid of the smell).
- Rinse pork ribs with water till no more flour is washed off.
- Put ribs in the pot. Add in 4 cups of water and all remaining ingredients.
- Boil for 2 minutes, take out, rinse ribs in water again, and put aside.
To prepare the sauce
Soy sauce – 2 tbsp
Dark soy sauce – 2 tbsp
Salt – ½ tsp
- Mix all ingredients together.
To prepare the final dish
Mushrooms (sliced) – 10
Pandan leaves – 6
Coconut sugar – 2 tbsp (25 g)
Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
Fried shallot – 2 tbsp
Desiccated coconut ½ cup
(Using medium heat, dry-fry till light brown)
Star anise – 4
Water – 2 cups
Ginger – 2 slices
Cornstarch – 1 tbsp mixed with 2 tbsp of water
- Put coconut oil in a wok. Add in coconut sugar and fry till sugar is melted.
- Stir in pork ribs and ginger.
- Add in 2 cups of water, star anise, and pandan leaves.
- When it is boiling, add in sauce, mushrooms, shallots, and tofu.
- Once it is boiling again, turn the heat down to between low and medium and cook for 40 minutes.
- Stir in cornstarch plus water to thicken.
- Lastly, stir in the fried desiccated coconut.
- Take out and serve.