Chicken Marsala is an Italian-American dish of golden pan-fried chicken cutlets and mushrooms in a rich Marsala wine sauce. Though it’s a classic restaurant dish, it’s really easy to make at home. With just one pan, you can have it on the dinner table in about 45 minutes.
1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp unsalted butter
8 oz sliced bella or button mushrooms
3 tbsp finely chopped shallots, from 1 medium shallot
2 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup dry Marsala white wine
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
2 tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley, for serving (optional)
- Place the flour, salt, and pepper in a ziplock bag. Add the chicken (cut them horizontally in 1/4 thickness to form four flat fillets if they are thick and big) to the bag; seal the bag tightly and shake to coat the chicken evenly. Set aside.
- Heat the oil and 2 tbsp of the butter in a large stainless steel pan skillet over medium-high heat. You will get a nice golden brown color result on the chicken. Place the flour-dusted chicken in the pan and cook, turning once, until the chicken is golden and just barely cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes total. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set it aside.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the pan. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms begin to brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the shallots, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt; cook for 1 to 2 minutes more. Add the broth, white wine, heavy cream, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper.
- Use a wooden spoon to scrape any brown bits from the pan into the liquid. Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and boil gently uncovered for 10-15 minutes. The sauce will be reduced and thickened slightly and darkened in color.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the chicken is warmed through and the sauce continues to thicken (2-3 min). Sprinkle with parsley and serve with pasta and broccoli on the side.