Everyone loves to achieve big things, whether in personal life or career. However, big wins and achievements happen rarely, and before you reach a big target, you have to fulfill several small ones. But how do you define the so-called small wins? And how important is it to celebrate these?
Professional counselors and motivational speakers say it is essential that you note such small achievements in life and career and make it a point to celebrate these while moving toward the big targets.
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Receive selected content straight into your inbox.
What are small wins?
These wins can be defined as mini-steps toward taking a big step that may drastically change your life. It may be related to your education, skill development, or bagging a job. These small wins keep you on the right track and help you stay motivated. Some goals are long-term, and you need frequent motivations to avoid getting deviated or losing the momentum.
Some examples of small wins are:
- Completing a chapter in your new college syllabus in a subject.
- Succeeding in cooking a dish you have prepared for a long time.
- Learning something new in your dance class and practicing it successfully.
- Cleaning up your storeroom that was in a mess for quite some time.
- Sprucing up your terrace garden and planting new seedlings.
- Completing an online assessment test for any computer or linguistic skill.
- Losing a small amount of weight after a week of hard work.
Reasons to celebrate small wins
When you note meeting small goals, you stay motivated and feel good about it. It is a gentle reminder to your mind that you are making progress. Besides, celebrating small wins also helps you stave off the negativity you face from your detractors. It also acts as a stress buster of sorts. When you are bogged with stress at the workplace or home, remembering something you achieved lightens up the mind.
How to celebrate small wins
There is no fixed formula for celebrating the small wins. The same thing may not work for everyone, and you have to find out what suits your needs the best.
- If you do not like the idea of celebrating small wins in a way that others can see, just write down about the win in a diary. Of course, you can use a smartphone note for the same need.
- You can treat yourself in celebrating small wins. It can be eating out at your favorite restaurant or if you detest dining out, order your favorite dish to eat at home.
- If you want to share the celebration with a few close friends and throw a small house party. Or else, you can have a video chat with a close friend to share your feelings.
- You can also pamper yourself a bit to celebrate such small wins. This may include having a spa session or opting for a body massage.
- You may also take a break from your schedule and head to a weekend getaway.