Tea is growing in popularity, as an increasing number of studies reveal that it is rich in beneficial antioxidants that may boost your health. Drinking tea, especially green tea, is beneficial as it may help prevent cardiovascular diseases and certain forms of cancer.
Some precautions you need to be aware of
1. Do not drink tea on an empty stomach.
Tea will dilute gastric acid and inhibit the secretion of gastric fluids, reducing lower digestive tract function. It might even cause palpitations or stomachaches, which can be relieved with wintergreen lozenges or sugar water.
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Receive selected content straight into your inbox.
2. Do not drink tea 20 minutes before or after eating
This will dilute gastric fluids and inhibit digestion. The oxalic acid in tea leaves will also interact with iron and protein in food and inhibit their absorption by the body.
3. Do not drink tea before sleeping
Tea, especially tea made from freshly picked green leaves, is a stimulant that can cause insomnia.
4. Those with gout should avoid drinking tea too often
The tannin in tea interacts with uric acid, maintaining it at high levels in the body.
5. Do not take tea with medication
The tannin in the tea will interact with certain medications, lowering their efficiency.
6. Do not drink green tea if you have a stomach ailment
Green tea will irritate the problem. Red tea is more suitable.
7. Children should avoid drinking strong tea
The polyphenols in the tea will interact with iron in the food and inhibit its absorption by the body, which might cause anemia in children.
8. Pregnant women should avoid drinking tea that is strong
Both polyphenols and caffeine can impede the development of the fetus.