Sticky Rice, also known as Glutinous rice, is on the menu today. This dual-purpose dish is a delightfully helpful addition to anyone’s repertoire of recipes. It easily accommodates a vegetarian or meat-eating palate. Combining the black-eyed peas (beans) with the chicken adds necessary dietary fiber, which is found to be lacking in chicken. This supplementing provides essential nutrients for a balanced diet. Another quality of glutinous rice is its ability to be molded into shapes, a handy attribute for food presentation. Glutinous rice is a rich carbohydrate food.
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Receive selected content straight into your inbox.
20 minutes Note that time does not include soaking glutinous rice and black eye peas overnight.
Day 1 Pre-preparation Steps:
5 fresh long pandan leaves (2 ½ leaves to flavor water to soak rice and 2 ½ to cook rice)
500 g glutinous rice (washed)
120 g black-eyed peas
- Boil 2 ½ pandan leaves in 3 cups of water for 10 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Add the pandan liquid to the washed glutinous rice and set it aside to soak overnight.
- Wash and soak the peas, covered in water, overnight.
300 g chicken (sliced breast or thigh)
2 fresh ginger slices
5 mushrooms (Soak in water till soft and cut into slices)
1 spring onion (cut into small pieces)
1 tbsp oil
Sticky Rice Sauce Ingredients:
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 ½ tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Chicken Marinade Sauce:
1 tbsp ginger juice
1 tbsp cooking wine
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 ½ tsp soy sauce
1 tsp salt
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp honey
Day 2 — Preparation steps:
- Drain the pandan/rice flavored water from the glutinous rice into a bowl using a strainer. Discard the pandan leaves. Measure 185 ml of this pandan/rice water and set it aside.
- Place chicken in a bowl and mix in the marinade sauce. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Boil the soaked peas in 3 cups of water until soft. Drain water and set it aside.
Method to fry chicken:
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan until hot. Add ginger and fry until fragrant.
- Stir in chicken and fry until cooked. Take out and put aside.
Method to fry sticky/glutinous rice:
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a frying pan until hot. Add shallots and fry until lightly browned, then push to one side of the pan.
- Add mushrooms, ¼ tsp of sugar, and ¼ tsp of soy sauce, and fry until fragrant.
- Stir in glutinous rice, rice sauce ingredients, and six tbsp of the pandan/rice water (from the reserved 185 ml in Step 1 of Day 2 — Preparation steps).
- Add in black-eyed peas and the spring onion.
- Fry the above ingredients for 5 minutes to infuse and enrich the flavors.
Method to steam glutinous/sticky rice:
- Prepare a steamer* and an inner container. Boil enough water and add to the steamer. Bring to a gentle boil.
- Fill the inner container with half the fried rice and bean mixture.
- Place the remaining 2½ pandan leaves on top.
- Cover the pandan leaves with the remaining fried rice mixture.
- Pour the remaining 185 ml of pandan/rice water over the rice and bean mixture.
- Place the container into the steamer and steam the contents for 30 minutes until the rice is cooked.
Vegetarian glutinous rice option:
Place a single serving of steamed glutinous rice into a bowl. Pack it tight with a spoon. Smooth and shape it with a butter knife. Turn the bowl onto a serving plate and remove the rice onto the plate.
Chicken glutinous rice option:
First, place fried chicken into a bowl, then top with the steamed glutinous rice mixture. Pack it down with a spoon and smooth it out with a knife. Turn out onto a serving plate.
* Note two steamer types:
1. A stainless steel steamer with a saucepan, inserts, and lid.
2. A bamboo steamer with a saucepan, inserts, and lid.